You want a beautiful marriage. You realize that marriage is an investment. You took the time to research the options and you found the stock you wanted to purchase and took the plunge and married him. What’s next and how do I keep the flame kindled in the face of so many others who have failed before me and some will fail while you are still married. Here are some tips from club31women:
1. Hold hands whenever you can. We do and always have. We’ll clasp hands when sitting next to each other on the couch, while we’re driving along in the car, and when we’re out walking. A simple connecting that goes a long way.
2. Pray for him every day. Faithfully. What better gift than to offer up a prayer for him? Ask God to bless him, protect him, and work in his life.
3. Look for the many ways to love on him. Small gifts and thoughtful gestures. Those little things that say, I love you and I’m thinking of you.
4. Make friends with people who’ll encourage your marriage. Surround yourself with those who will support and pray for you both as you grow together.
5. And avoid those who pull against you. If they were “friends”, I’d ditch them altogether. (Real friends are going to cheer you both on). It’s harder with extended family members, but I’d dodge those as much as possible too.
6. Go to the Word of God for the best marriage counseling. You can get good advice from others, but there’s no replacing the loving, powerful Truth to be found in Scripture.
7. Cultivate your friendship. Marriage isn’t merely a business deal.
8. Never give up on each other. People go through difficult seasons and we get to persevere through them. Don’t let go.
9. Confess your sins to one another. Doesn’t help to smooth it over; instead repent and ask forgiveness. (Jas. 5:16)
10. And then forgive freely. (Col. 3:13)